Tax Master DFW - Your local tax professionals 
Call us - (972)436-3786 
Visit us in Lewisville, Tx

HomeAbout UsContact UsServicesBookkeepingTax Prep and IRS News 
Form LLC/ CorporationTax BlogIncome TaxHome Ownership & TaxesGlossary of Terms

Income Taxes, Tax Filing, Tax refunds in DFW
IRS Help
Contact Us
DFW IRS Help - DFW IRS Problems - DFW Tax Help - offer in compromise

New Real Estate Investor mistakes -  Capitalization of Improvements

Here is a mistake that new real estate investors make? Thinking they can write off the amounts they spend to improve the property. Sometimes you can. Often you can not. Here is why: Any expenditure that increases the life of the property or improves its utility needs to be depreciated over the next 27.5 years (if the property is residential) or over 39 years (if the property is nonresidential). You can not, therefore, write off the money spent improving or renovating a house, except through depreciation. I have seen new real estate investors in tears about this wrinkle. Some investor draws, say, $20,000 from his IRA or 401(k) to fix up some rental. He figures he will be able to write off the $20,000 as a tax deduction in the year improvements are made. No way. Instead, he will have to write off the $20,000 at the rate of a few hundred bucks a year over the next three or four decades. The trick with renovation, if you want to call it that, is to keep the property well maintained as you go. Repainting, new carpeting, general repairs; these items should all be all deductions in the year of expenditure. 
Interested in learning more?
FacebookIRS.govDFW Real Estate
American ExpressGoDaddyOur You Tube VideosGoogle+
Arlington TxLewisville TxTexas Land SurveyorProtest Property Taxes in Texas

Call 972-436-3786 today to set up an appointment.
Coppell IRS letter in Roanoke or The Colony - filing taxes and tax refund in Grand Prairie or Kennedale - Mansfield area. Help with health insurance / Obamacare and my taxes from Carrollton to Arlington and Dallas Texas - Income tax help filing and refund